Aug 17, 2003

I saw three movies on DVD over the last few days.

They, this Wes Craven horror movie (don’t even bother).

Solaris, the George Clooney vehicle directed by Steven Soderbergh and produced by James Cameron. Which was just one of those movies that should have been better than it was.

and finally...

Shanghai Knights with Jackie Chan. I liked Shanghai Knights a lot. Despite the fact that the insipid Owen Wilson was in it.

I’m just not buying into the forced ignorant charm of Luke or Owen Wilson or Ashton Kutchner. I don’t like any of them and usually their an indicator that a movie should be avoided at all costs.

Jackie Chan on the other hand is spectacular. He’s a treasure not just in the way he choreographs his fight scenes but, also in his knowledge of cinema. Much of what he puts forth is in homage to what has come before.

You wouldn’t think Jackie Chan could manage to throw a tribute to Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly into his movies but, he does it gracefully and with ease. I could take issue with the soundtrack choices for this period comedy as well as the really bad dialogue (Owen Wilson) and forced plot contrivances (Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle and Charlie Chaplin all somehow manage to figure into this plot) which elicit groans. Jackie Chan is the really shining bright spot in the movie making it bearable to watch.

No comments: